OFF-ROAD VEHICLES AND
GOLF CARTS WITHIN CITY OF
- Off-Road Vehicles and golf carts must not be operated on any sidewalk, bicycle/walking path or state highway. (12th Street and Payne Street)
- Off-Road Vehicles and golf carts must be equipped with headlights, tailights if operated after sunset.
- Off-Road Vehicles and golf carts shall not carry more passengers than the vehicle was designed for and each occupant must wear a seat belt.
- Off-Road Vehicle and golf cart operators must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Off-Road Vehicle and golf cart operators shall carry liability insurance for the vehicle and possess a Certificate of Insurance while the vehicle is being operated.
- Off-Road Vehicles and golf carts may cross a prohibited roadway, but only at a right angle and only when the operation can be done safely.
- Off-Road Vehicles must be operated in compliance with applicable state laws.
- Off- Road Vehicles and golf carts must display a slow-moving vehicle sign from the rear of the vehicle while in operation.
Indiana Code 9-18.1-14-11 requires an individual less than eighteen (18) years of age who is operating or riding on an Off-Road Vehicle to wear a DOT approved helmet. IC 14-16-1-33 places responsibility for ensuring underage riders wear helmets on the owner or possessor of the Off-Road Vehicle.
Under the law, owners of ORVs who allow children younger than age 18 to ride their ORV on public or private property without wearing an approved helmet can be charged with a Class C infraction, which carries a maximum penalty of $500.
Registering your Off-Road Vehicle or golf cart with the City of Tell City requires a physical inspection by a representative of the Tell City Police Department. A fee of $60 will apply to a three-year registration.
To register your Off-Road Vehicle or golf cart for City of Tell City operation, please use the form below: